It is a truth universally acknowledged that a rainy day becomes much cheerier when one is in possession of a turquoise umbrella.

3/23/11

Windows.

I have lately considered how writing has deeply affected the way I take in the world around me. Because I want to share the same impressions in a story or even a blog post. And I want to do it ably. For writing is also a window. A way to share your life through the power of words. The feelings I experience, especially at this time of year, when the world around me is fresh and new is difficult to explain, but I want to make an attempt by sharing that--

It's a heightened sense of awareness, a feeling that draws you even closer to God's creation.

It's a desire to share what you feel, and see, and know--and to do it adequately, if not admirably. The fire licking at burning coals as the sausage dogs sizzle and pop on the grill above. The dappled sunlight in a pine forest. The rusty motor purr of a kitten nestled in your lap. The deep, rich scent of chocolate swirl brownies baking in the oven. The cool taste of a peppermint. The icy chill you experience when the ocean of early morning surges around your ankles. The glow of city lights mirrored in the hundreds of raindrops racing down the car window.

It's something that cannot be captured completely. That is just not possible. Not with words and not with photography. To fully know and understand what you're saying, others have to be there. To experience it themselves. To actually see what you see. But well-chosen, well-written words grant others a glimpse, a window, into your world and your perceptions.

I hope that I may do this and do it well.

(Island Memories)
 My photo for Hannah's link-up. Nothing quite whispers 'nostalgia' to me than browsing through photos from our family vacation to the beach. I ache to go back and am counting the days until July.
One Word Wednesday at Aspire

9 thoughts:

Beth said...

You do an excellent job at it. Your blog has truly become a window into your world and to who you are. I happen to be one of your biggest fans :) Keep up the wonderful job!

Courtney K. said...

This is the first post on your blog that I have read, but I can't wait to read more. I found your through the "Aspire" hop, and let me say that your way with words is remarkable. Keep writing. You clearly have a talent for it!

Sarah-Anne said...

what a GREAT post, erin. you are quite the writer. :)

Kaela said...

That's really beautiful! That totally makes me think of sweet memories at a beach or something!

Anna Gray said...

I know how you feel! We are going to th beach in June and I am SO ready!

Who doesn't love the beach, anyway? Beautiful photo. And the heart in the sand = Bliss. :)

Emily Grace said...

Lovely post, Erin. You truly do have a talent for writing. =)

Love the reflection in the photo!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! You are so eloquent!

Memories from family vacations are some of the best, aren't they?

Kendall said...

I agree about writing being a window, and I love that photo. It's lovely, and also nostalgic. :)

~Kendall

Anonymous said...

a very beautiful post!